Usually it is known that the interior designers only choose colors, furniture or curtains. It is not only a combination of different elements, forms or chasing aesthetic materials. It is more complex where analysis involved conceptual and instrumental tools projective methods.
So where lays the misunderstanding? Why society much of our profession relates to a simple matter of taste?
The CGDI(1) gives three different names to the same profession:
- Decoration: Located in the geo-cultural and Latin-Mediterranean sphere of influence in Central-South America predominantly humanistic conception overstated the aesthetic aspects of living environment.
- Interior Architect: in the geo-cultural area in central and northern Europe, where temperatures are overstated rationalist and functional aspects of living environment.
- Interior design: in the Anglo-Saxon cultural geographic area and their areas of influence, Australia, Japan, etc.. Predominant technological conception and overstate or use modal aspects of living environment.
On the other hand, there are only two definitions of interior designer with international validity. The postulated by IFI(2) and OIT(3) definition.
In the first figure defines interior architect / interior designer as "qualified by training, experience and skills recognized that:
- Identifies, researches and creatively solves problems pertaining to the function and quality of the indoor environment.
- Provides services related to interior spaces, among which includes programming, design analysis, space planning, aesthetics and monitoring of the work, using specialized knowledge of interior construction, building systems and components, rules, equipment, materials and furniture.
- Prepare drawings and documents relating to the design of interior space in order to improve the quality of life and protect the health, safety and welfare of the public. "
In the second, the OIT classifies interior designer / decorator within Group 1 62.30 under the definition "professional charting projects home decor and furniture, public buildings, ships and other places; studies the purpose and characteristics of the work to be held and change impressions with colleagues or clients to determine and the style of decoration, space limitations and other important information, prepares sketches, plans and models necessary. It also defines the arrangement of furniture and submitted for the approval of his superiors or customers. Calculate the ratio and cost of materials and furniture; prepares and supervises the execution of the works, can project, along with the architect, the interior decor complete with fixtures and fittings and can arrange for the purchase of materials decoration and furniture. "
We have seen then that the interior design when decorating derisively called, has traditionally been associated with: aesthetics aimed at taste caprice, arbitrariness in the combination of elements and even the high price elitism.
Possible ways to address these misunderstandings could be:
- To explain better the profession in each of the daily activities of the professional. With customers in contact with users, with seminars, workshops, conferences.
- To redefine the scope to expand or clarify the meaning of the name "interior design". The interior designer works not only on the inside of a space but also designs outdoor spaces, public spaces, ephemeral assemblies. You could even get to include under the definition of spaces. Habitable understood to be capable of any activity in a period indefinitely.
1. Consejo General de los Colegios Oficiales de Decoradores y Diseñadores de Interior de España. Normativa reguladora de la actividad y ejercicio profesional del Diseñador de Interiores (last visit 15-05-2013)
2. Federación Internacional de arquitectos/diseñadores de interiores(last visit 15-05-2013)
3. Organización Internacional del Trabajo (last visit 15-05-2013)
Laia Feixas (20.05.2013)